Monday, May 07, 2007

Peter Steiner

Imagine my surprise when I discovered that I was in a forum full of newbies. 'Twenty years! I can't imagine enduring it for that long' to paraphrase the reaction of one of the neophytes present.

What I didn't say was that twenty years is a conservative estimate; thirty is a more accurate figure. And some of these poor kids don't even realize they're sick. They believe that this is a phase that they're going through, a series of bad relationships, a temporary downturn of events, growing pains - just as I probably believed decades ago.

What can someone like me possibly offer a bunch of kids like that other than Oprah-esque survivor stories? And what what can they possibly offer me that wouldn't sound like one of my hallucinogenic undergraduate experiments in non-traditional narrative?

Peter Steiner was right, on the internet, no one knows you're a dog.


No comments: